Saturday 14 February 2009

Recipe from Home #1: Ma & Pa's Tomato Chutney




Ingredients:

  • 1/2 kg small red tomatoes
  • Fresh Thyme leaves or Basil (My Dad's preferred addition)
  • 4 Fresh Garlic Cloves, crushed with the back of a knife
  • 2 Tablespoons Vinegar
  • 1 Teaspoon Palm Sugar or Cane Sugar 
  • 1 Tablespoon Kalongi or Nigella Seeds
  • 2 fresh green chilis, slit.
  • Sea Salt
Cut tomatoes into fours.  Heat oil in frying pan, sputter kalongi, add green chillies and garlic.
Add tomatoes and braise slowly with a lid on for 5 minutes.  Ad palm sugar and salt, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes, until stewed.  Remove from flame.

Once that's done mix in the 2 Tablespoons of Vinegar.

Garnish with Thyme or Basil and,

Enjoy!


(Thank to Ma & Pa for the Pictures and recipes, more to come...)

4 comments:

Kake said...

Ooh, that sounds lovely. Could I use jaggery for the sugar?

Melvin Smack & Rajesh Thappar said...

Hi Kake

Yes - Jaggery will work fine.

How did you find our blog?

Thanks for stopping by! More recipes to come and an article and photo of Doc Simon's crazy sandwich.

Kake said...

Cool — I'll give it a try next time I get some decent tomatoes.

I think I found your blog while searching for restaurant reviews. I help run a website about London, and when we add a page about a restaurant we like to link to as many other reviews as possible, to help give a clearer picture of the place. We seem to have linked to your reviews of the Gourmet Hotdog Company and O Cantinho De Portugal, so I probably found you via one of those.

When I find a blog with posts about London restaurants or pubs, I add it to my Bloglines so I can see if any new reviews pop up. I'm also very interested in cooking, though, so I read those posts too!

Melvin Smack & Rajesh Thappar said...

Thanks a bunch!

I've checked out your site before. Good Stuff!

Let us know how your cooking experiences go with our recipes, we like feedback!