Saturday 7 February 2009

Effra Hall Tavern, 38 Kellett Road, London, SW2 1EB






Okay, you've probably guessed it but I live in Brixton.  You'd think that with the Carribean population down here it would be easy to get a good plate of Jerk with Rice & Peas, it's not.  Most of the places around here tend to serve Jerk cooked with that shiney, gooey sauce that comes straight out of the bottle, even the overrated Take 2Wo that people seem to love does the dirty with the bottled sauce.  If you've been eating that shit, you need get your head checked.

Luckily there is the Effra, a sweet dingy little pub that does live Jazz every night except Friday and Saturday.  The Effra is a humble and  honest place.   You'd probably not even noticed they have a kitchen, they don't seem to advertise the food much.  But fuck me they should!  It's a goddamn revelation.  I remember the first time I had a plate of the Jerk there, I was blown away by all the flavours exploding in my mouth.  I had to investigate, apparently the nice little old  Carribbean Mamma who runs the kitchen makes all the sauces from scratch daily!  It's phenomenal, each bite picks up notes of a whole array of spices and herbs I could taste Star Anise in there.  It's really hearty, earthy and above all tastes REAL!  This is cooking with Soul.

Don't think twice, give it a try.

Jerk Chicken w/ Rice & Peas, £6.80

No comments: